Quick Spicy Shrimp with Avocado Oil
This is an awesome shrimp recipe that is fast to prepare, even faster to cook, and high in protein while low in fat, calories, and carbs. The little fat it has is healthy fat as well.
This one comes from my own Anabolic Cookbook, my personal list of recipes many of which I’m sharing here, and adding more over time.
This is equally good in a frying pan or on a grill. Although I like using skewers for the shrimp, you can do it without skewers, which is especially easy in a frying pan.
- One pound shrimp – deveined with shells off. The ones commonly bought in the market are already deveined and the shell comes off easily. I often leave the shell on the very bottom at the tail which serves as a handle and make them easy to eat. I like extra large shrimp but you can use any size.
- Bamboo skewers – available in almost any market. Soak these in water for 20-30 minutes or longer if grilling so that they are less likely to burn.
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil – You can also use olive oil if you have some handy although I slightly prefer avocado oil (which like olive oil is very healthy) for this recipe.
- ¼ teaspoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt – I prefer Kosher or sea salt
- ¾ tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon coriander
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 lime cut into wedges
Place in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes, and then skewer the shrimp (if using skewers).
Cooking is simple, whether on the grill or in a pan.
Cook over medium heat for about 2-3 minutes per side, until the shrimp are pink and translucent. Either squeeze lime on now or as eating. Enjoy!
This is great on a tapas tray, makes a great appetizer, as well as main course.
Servings: 4 (4 ounces each),
Calories: 130 only!
Protein: 23 grams
Carbs: 2 grams
Fat: 5.5 grams
Obviously you would want several of these servings if it was the main course. I’ll often have an entire pound which is about 520 calories along with veggies.
Originally adapted from a recipe from Cooking Light.